Ignite Tampa Bay

This year I decided I wanted to do things that would make me step out of my comfort zone. I've found that through out the years, my fearlessness has started to fade, and I don't like it! Risks are important (and different to recklessness), and fear can numb us down to the point of not really living, but merely existing.

So when a local entrepreneur, someone I highly admired, sent me an email to share with people and encouraged us to apply to speak at Ignite Tampa Bay, my initial reaction was to just pass it on. And then I realized I'd be hypocritical if I didn't at least try to apply! Isn't it funny that when you decide to challenge yourself, the opportunities start to appear, all while fear, tries to get a hold of you!

Ignite Tampa Bay held at The Cuban Club - Ybor City - May 22, 2014
In many cases I think of myself as an introvert, I don't like being the center of attention in a group of people. Back when I lived and traveled with a group of people from all over the world, the personalities of Americans always seemed to cast a shadow on mine, and while it didn't bother me most of the time, it did when people would point out they didn't notice me at all at first. Those comments made me feel invisible. And then as I matured a little bit, I started embracing that part of myself and learning how to use it as a strength. It allowed me to analyze, learn about people, and figure out how to adjust to my surroundings. It's not always easy because some interactions require for me to be more aggressive than I'm used to (comfortable with), but for the most part, it has been great. And I always like it when people seem shocked that I've done something they didn't think I'd be capable of. And it has surprised me too, when I learn about how people view me - it teaches me a lot about myself.

But back to Ignite. Once I knew I was accepted I didn't know whether to jump up and down from the excitement or have a panic attack because I've never done something like that. I think what happened was a combination of both.



And then the preparation started. See Ignite is not like any other talk event out there. Speakers are bound by five minutes and 20 slides that advance automatically every fifteen seconds. It was difficult! But something was telling me I just had to, I had to share, I had to speak, I had to be vulnerable. And so, after much repetition (most of it in my head) to the point I couldn't think of anything else, the day came. I showed up and was told I was the last one to speak. THE LAST ONE! I was honored, but my heart skipped a beat when I found out. And then it skipped even more when I found out I was going after my friend Mark - the most outgoing person I've met, USFSP's Student Government President, and someone full of amazing stories! Needless to say, I was freaking out the whole time, my chest was a little tight, and I had to try not to keep practicing over and over in my head while I listened to the other speakers. I was afraid I'd forget if I practiced too much.

The other speakers were amazing, and part of me was struggling with feelings of not being able to measure up. But mostly, I was inspired and amazed, because their stories are powerful.

It was my time, I got up there, and couldn't see a single person because of the spotlight. It was both a relief and also kind of unnerving. My voice was shaky, I messed up at parts, and it went so incredibly fast. It was a great experience - I was able to share about my passion for Colombia, and my hopes that people see it a little bit differently now. Because Colombia is beautiful, and I think everyone should have the opportunity to go, at least once in their lifetime!
It was so difficult, challenging and fun all together that I may even try out again next year!


p.s. If anyone would like to go to Colombia someday, I'm planning on putting together trips for people that want to visit, so let me know!!