Colombia

It had been seven years. Seven long years.
I knew I missed the people, the culture, and the food.
I didn't realize until I was here in Colombia that I missed much more than that.



The warm "hellos" of everyone and anyone, the kiss-on-the-cheek greetings, the genuine questions of how you've been, the invitations and long conversations with friends. The kind of conversations that will challenge you and leave you thinking. But also the kind where you laugh non-stop for hours, drinking a beer and reminiscing on trips and anecdotes, while creating new memories all along. Meeting people and instantly becoming friends, no reservations. Seeing family I hadn't in years.

The dancing... oh how I had missed dancing, and to the music that only a Colombian DJ will play - Salsa, Merengue, Vallenato. Hearing the songs I hadn't in years and dancing past midnight and with people that will make you laugh until you feel your stomach and cheeks can't take it anymore.


Rice & chicken meal cooked in plantain leaves
The food... the food! I don't think I've held back on any craving since the plane first landed. The coffee, the snacks, the smells that come from the kitchen every time you know lunch is about to be
ready. The natural, fresh-made juices from fruits that don't grow in the States. The empanadas, which are different in every store, along with the aji. Tamales, arepas, the list could go on.

The views were also breathtaking. I missed the scenery - the mountains, savannah, trees, and the green... so much green everywhere. I even missed the fact that you can always hear birds singing, even in the city - I even saw a hummingbird! I missed the small towns, the big city, and everything in between that this country has to offer and that I was able to enjoy.

Parque Ecologico La Periquera
So all this to say, Colombia, I'm so glad I'm back here, and even more so that the time here was extended. My soul needed it. I may not have done every single thing I had planned to, but it was more than enough to make me realize how, Lord willing, I don't ever want to go more than even a year without being here.