Lessons 01-2010

Every semester here in the States has proven to be such an adventure, with crazy challenges and ups and downs all over the place, but also really cool and unexpected events. So here are a few things that happened this semester, and some lessons I learned along the way:

* As it was made obvious to me in 2005, the only constant aspect of my life continues to be God.

* God is faithful all the way. No doubt about it. While being away from my family is still tough at times, I love knowing that I rely on someone who is always there, no matter what part of the world I may be at.
As my time where I was living came to an end, a door opened for me to move in at my friend's place... such great timing! I'm blown away by how it happened, and by her family's generosity - I love where I live, having the opportunity to know my roomie better, and just this whole new phase in my life!

* Love is awesome, but relationships are crazy hard, yet I learned so much from this one, and will always be one that I hold dear to my heart. And to quote Jon Foreman "If it doesn't break your heart it isn't love." What made a difference this time is that it convinced me that its totally worth it. Its pretty interesting to see two random strangers come to know and love each other, its pretty exciting actually. I don't know what God's plan for my life is, but I hope love, a stable relationship, and a family are part of that. For now I find comfort in the fact that I can trust God with this, while enjoying the friendships I have, and meeting new people.

* I have come to deepen my admiration and respect for my parents, and siblings. Moving countries has never been an easy thing, and specific situations have made it even harder on them. However, I have never seen such determination, perseverance, hope, and faith be so evident in anyone's life. I love them with all my heart, and time and distance will never weaken the bond we have not only by blood, but also by choice, time, and hard times! Los amo demasiado Papi, Mami, Lora, Juanes y Viejito! Your ability to be flexible and accomodate to these crazy changes and unexpected situations have spoken to my heart, and I love you all!

* I hate derivatives, which adds the 'hate' to my love/hate relationship of calculus. However, it was pretty cool to form that little study group, and succeed at the end of the semester!! I feel pretty accomplished about that. Not gonna lie.

* Being away from home is an adventure, but I miss it, especially because my family is there. Its been such a cool experience though, and I have been super blessed... I just realized I have been adopted by four amazing families. And I love them so much - Botbyls, Hedgers, Civellos, and Hawleys... thank you for the companionships, generosity, fabulous meals here and there, wonderful care, and for just treating me as one of your own. I honestly couldn't do it here without your love.

* I love technology because of the fact that I can communicate with my family back home, and friends around the world. Also because thanks to that, we can make crazy plans to meet somewhere and have reunions. Here's to hopefully my sister's visit this summer and 'powerpuff' week in August! And if somehow a little reunion with muffin and nitwit was thrown in the mix, I would be super excited!

* Being involved in the community has the awesome immediate rewards of being able to help people on the spot and meet their immediate needs, but somehow that has also brought about crazy opportunities that I didnt even know existed. Here's to Washington in July, and a crazy cool scholarship opportunity for next year!

* All my life I have felt more at ease with having more guy friends than girl friends. For the most part, it is still true. Girls are too dramatic, and I hate drama! However, I have also been absolutely blessed to develop deeper friendships with a couple of girls... something more recent. And I am having lots of fun! Here's to snowballs, chick flicks, sushi, mall outings, heels, and conversations!

* I love heels and dressing up. But that adventurous part of me remains, even with the lack of cliff jumping places in FL. Here's to finding some fun, crazy adventure this summer!

* Three years away from home have been too, TOO, long. Nevertheless, Colombia has never left my heart, and it is perhaps because of the distance and time, that it has occupied more of my heart and prayers. I am so proud of where I come from, and someday, God willing, I will be back to the land of amazing coffee, happy people, laid back culture, beautiful sceneries, plantains, optimism, empanadas, thousands of yummy fruit, and my mom's food :)

* I dont know how long I will be living in the States, life is still uncertain and crazy, but I love it. And for now I will continue to enjoy this place that I have fallen in love with. It is not only the physical place, but the people here, that make it so awesome! And the beach doesn't hurt either :)

I could go on with this, but this sums up my semester, and my thoughts about it.

Thank you all who made this semester, yet another awesome one! I love you all!