Lessons in perseverance

So I have had a dream for a long time. I remember being in a van in a little town in New Zealand - Tauranga. I was trying to figure out what I was supposed to do with my life, and my mind kept going back to restaurants. I had recently found out that my favorite restaurant back at home Crepes & Waffles focused on hiring only single moms. They gave them a job, and provided opportunities to not only get an education but also to progress in the company. I was inspired. Not only did I love the restaurant industry (mind you, I had never worked in a restaurant at that point), because what can get better than delicious food bringing people together? Well, turns out it does get better when you're also helping people at the same time!

So I happened to find myself in New Zealand, by God's grace and people's generosity: I had gotten a scholarship. After a year of requesting visas, getting denied at embassies, lots of letters, requests, interviews, etc., I finally was able to hop on a plane with $100 in my pocket for 6 months of adventures (but that's a story for another time). I was blown away that people who I didn't know fought for me and alongside me to make this dream come true. And I figured it out - this is exactly what I want to do for others.

Fast forward 7 years later, and the dream remains. I've gone through distractions, more visa issues, more traveling, marrying my best friend, sweat, tears, a lot of self-doubt, but also a lot more encouragement than I could describe.

The dream: a food service business that employs young people to springboard them into their dreams. The concept has changed a million times since its birth but the core remains the same.

And that brings me to today. I've been chiseling and sculpturing this piece of rock that's my dream right now. Holy cow, is it hard! My mind is the biggest battle field, because in essence, putting all the pieces together is not difficult - it is just a lot of research, calls, learning, and time. But the difficult part is the mental and emotional roller coaster you're put through. Feelings of not being capable, doubt, loneliness in the process... it tries to seep in into every step you take. School will prepare you to brainstorm ideas, to pitch in front of a room of people and have them dissect your idea, it'll teach you accounting principles, and business administration skills... but one thing it hasn't prepared me for is the perseverance you need to start a business - because really, that is the personal choice and sacrifice you must make.

All that to say, even through the hardships... it is SO, SO worth it. Every time I see my dream come alive, even in the smallest of ways, I see myself getting closer to my purpose - whether it is a new vendor, an inspiration board completed, touring the commercial kitchen I'll be using... any kind of step forward is super encouraging.

But see the thing is, it is a daily choice, to work towards that goal, to persevere despite all those roadblocks that impose themselves on the path, despite the doubt. Because in the end, how will you ever see it come alive? In the process, you see it is worth it.



So surround yourself with people that speak encouragement into your life. Fight through the tears, and don't give up. A lesson I am learning as I type this. No matter the dream and how long it takes - whether a year, or seven, or fifteen - only you can decide what is worth your time and effort.