Melt in your mouth deliciousness...

So, I love food. And I love to cook it... sometimes. But there came a point where it just got to much of a routine that I stopped enjoying it.

Then we got cable at home! And with that came a love (or should I say obsession) with the Food Network! Specifically the Food Network Star & Chopped - I think it's because of the competition. I mean, who doesn't like a little dose of competitiveness and channeling their inner Monica?!
Ok, part of my obsession for these show is also the creativity that is displayed with such random, and sometimes just plain commonly used ingredients. My favorite part: When they have to take something that has been done for a long time in a certain way, and a twist is added.

So with that in mind, I came up with my own recipe for an oldie but goodie: French Toast!

French toast... it evokes memories of childhood, with the sweet, cinnamon-y and warm smell and taste of maple syrup. Yumm! This is nostalgia at its best for most people... But for me, it's sort of a newer concept! Growing up in Colombia, I don't recall ever hearing of this treat until I came to the States. And I FELL.IN.LOVE with it!


So my brother was over at my place and I wanted to make some French Toast for us, but wanted to add something different and unique to it... so I thought, what does he like that I could add to it? Cheese!
My family and I go way back with cheese. It has always been a favorite snack and we cook it and serve it in different ways... but that's a different story for another day.

So bear with me. This is a French Toast and Grilled Cheese hybrid. Think about it: You have a sweet element in the French Toast, and then the cheese adds that unexpected texture and a little bit of salty kick. So take a chance and try it out... and when you do, let me know what you think!

Ingredients:

  • 8 slices of bread
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
  • 1/4 cup of milk
  • 4 tablespoons of light agave
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • Grated mozzarella
  • Maple syrup
  • Walnuts
*Optional: 1/4 cup of spiced rum and
 2 teaspoons of freshly grated orange zest.

Serves 4


Method
In a bowl whisk the eggs, cream, milk, agave, cinnamon and salt together. (If you were using the optional ingredients, you can whisk them into this mixture)

Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Pour the egg mixture in a square pan and dip bread into it. Let each side soak for approx 15 seconds.

Over medium heat, add some oil to a skillet (you could also use non-stick spray, or butter). Place two slices of bread at the same time and cook until golden brown - about 2 minutes per side.

Cut the slices diagonally, add shredded mozzarella to two of the triangles, and stack each one with the others triangle. Now treat it like you would a grilled cheese sandwich. Repeat with the remaining bread slices.

Remove from pan and place in the oven for 5 minutes.



Serve immediately. Garnish with some walnuts, maple syrup, and fresh berries.

Enjoy!