Creativity... For Everyone!

I just read an article by Jane Rubietta on creativity, and wow, was it inspiring!

The act of moving from place to place sometimes imposes certain limitations on you, especially when you're moving from a different country. Many times, I have felt like things are out of my control, and all I could do was wait and hope for the best. It has been crazy but so rewarding, and a time in my life that will always be defined as blessed beyond belief!

I have heard that during hard times it is when creativity flourishes the most, so I have occupied my time with trying to be creative, and its been fun. But being creative for the mere sake of creativity results in vain efforts. So I started looking for books on creativity and inspiration, but for some reason, I still didn't find what I was looking for. Until I came across this article in an old (2007) magazine I had, but never paid attention to (why I still have said magazine is beyond my understanding!)

However, a lot of what it said was exactly what I needed:

"Creativity is a matter of fact. We're all artists of sorts, attempting to interpret life through our words, actions, and work... By living out our God-breathed, God-reflecting creativity, we bring him glory and point others to him. Creativity is evident in actions, hospitality, atmosphere. It shows up in relationships too... Creativity 'arises out of the struggle of human beings with and against that which limits them.' If creativity is the 'ability to get away from the main track, break out of the mold, or diverge from the rest of society,' then creativity is a primary trait of people of faith who refuse to let the world squeeze them into its mold. It means taking risks, allowing God to surge forward through the opening... So much of creativity is choosing to look for - and celebrate - life in the midst of what feels like death. Attitude converts limitations into actions and creativity. When we're most limited, God is most free... Our self-imposed limitations stifle creativity more than circumstances. In fact, the deeper our need or more desperate we are, the more creative we tend to be."

The fact that God allows struggles in our lives not only to glorify himself, but also to teach us about creativity left me speechless. And its true: the closest I feel to God (sometimes in an subconscious, yet real way) is when I have accomplished something creative - whether a painting, a last-minute meal, a poem, or a gift basket arrangement - there is just something so exciting about that, especially during hard times! So it is time I quit complaining, start creating, and in so doing, glorify the one that has given me to opportunity to do so! This, I have realized, applies to every single aspect of life. Whether is trying to be creative for the design of a wedding, the planning of events, relationships and their hardships, writing, going through a tough day, studying for a final... there's something that happens when you throw in a little creativity and change the flow of a routine.


So the advice is (as paraphrased from the article):

* Be curious - as Einstein best put it: "I have no special gift. I am only
passionately curious."
* Reflect - Journal feelings and experiences, it'll open your eyes to little,
yet exciting things in life.
* Exercise - Aerobic exercise actually increases creativity.
* Be spontaneous - "Control is one of the enemies of creative living."
* Laugh - Vatche Bartekian said: "The more I've watched the connection
between humor and creativity, the more I've realized there is very little
difference between the terms 'Aha!' and 'Haha!' .. Enough said
* Try a different route - The simplicity of new sights, sounds, and places
encourages creativity
* Feel your feelings - "He best can paint them who shall feel them the most"
- Alexander Pope
* Grab some shut-eye - Essential for your mind to function right.

Hope it ispires you as much as it inspired me!